How can we sum up a visit to Logne?
What a task !
The castle of Logne is on one hectare of vestiges and subterranean passages at the summit of an abrupt cliff that overlooks the Ourthe and Lembrée Valleys: an ideal refuge since the dawn of humanity. The discovery of some specimens of prehistoric flint stone clearly illustrates that the history of Logne goes back a long way.
During the 5th century, the site participated in the defence of Roman territory against the invasions of Germanic tribes. During the 9th century, the monks of Stavelot kept the relics of Saint Remacle there during Norman invasions. During the 11th century, Logne was situated at the heart of the domains of the abbey, of which it became the main fortress. In 1138, Abbot Wibald, an exceptional mercenary and consultant to several Germanic emperors, oversaw its total redoing. Logne was then at its apogee.
But the centuries passed and in 1427, the monastery experienced a grave financial and spiritual crisis. Abbot Jean Godeschalc de Gueuzaine gave up the castle and its lands to the la Marck family. The family was involved in numerous wars that opposed France and Burgundy and quickly gained a poor reputation. Several members of the family are referred to as the "Sangliers des Ardennes". Others had yet worse nicknames, such as Robert "le Diable" (the Devil) or Jeannot "le Bâtard" (the Bastard). At a few hours distance from Liege, Logne became an ideal base for a takeover by force in the whole of the Ardennes and the territory of the prince-bishops. In the early 16th century, the castle acquired a new configuration entirely conceived for artillery, which was rapidly evolving at the time. It was completely redone and became a "modern" fortress for only a few years. Indeed, on May 1, 1521, at the close of a violent rule, it was overtaken and dismantled by order of the Emperor Charles Quint. As for the mercenaries that made up the garrison, those who did not die in combat were hung from a tree.
Pillaged, forgotten, exploited as a stone quarry, the site was rediscovered in 1897 thanks to the obstinacy of its owner, Auguste Dupont. The works undertaken over 100 years ago are far from being complete. They continue under the direction of the Domain of Palogne and the Province of Liege, with the help of the "Direction de Archéologie du Service Public de Wallonie".